Requests for reproductions of library materials
Imaging Services is an on-campus resource for the conversion of paper and image-based materials to digital formats. Requests for digital reproductions of MIT Libraries materials can be made via Ask Distinctive Collections. Copyright restrictions may apply to certain materials.
In most cases, fees will apply and there is a minimum order amount of $30. See our fee schedule below for more information.
- Digital imaging and photography (including color balancing and processing)
- Special procedures for scanning fragile artifacts
- Optical character recognition (OCR)
- AV materials require special quotes as they are sent to a trusted vendor.
- Quantity pricing may be available
Files provided will include TIFF and either JPEG or PDF. Contact us via Ask Distinctive Collections if you require anything other than our standard.
- Items larger than 5 x 7 — 400 ppi
- Photos and items smaller than 5 x 7 — 600 ppi
- Transmissive materials — 2000 – 3000 ppi
Distinctive materials (prices are per image)
- Bound (per page side) – $2.00
- Unbound – $3.00
- Oversize over 16 x 20 – $20.00
Circulating Collections or Personal Materials (prices are per image)
- Bound (per page side) – $1.00
- Unbound – $0.50
- Oversize over 16 x 20 – $15.00
Transmissive Materials (prices are per image)
- 35 mm slide or negative – $15.00
- medium or large format negative/transparency – $25.00
- 5-Business-Day Rush add $50 surcharge, per order
- 2-Business-Day Rush add $100 surcharge, per order