In fulfillment of our educational and scholarly mission, the MIT Libraries lends materials to qualified institutions located in the USA. We are, with apologies, unable at this time to facilitate international loans.
- Minimum notice: 12 months in advance of opening date is minimum notice for borrowing artifacts within the USA.
- Rush: We are prepared to evaluate loans with shorter lead times on a case by case basis. ‘Rush’ fees (e.g. appraisals) paid by you, the borrower, may apply.
- Digital files: We may provide high-resolution images if we are unable to loan our materials. Requests for digital images will be transferred to our imaging team. We require eight weeks to fulfill requests for digital images to be used in print and electronic formats, including exhibition catalogs and publicity materials. Carefully consider all editorial deadlines and allow ample time.
- Fees: There is no loan fee to borrow from us. You will be responsible for all direct costs associated with appraisal, insurance, display housing and mount preparation, packing, crating, shipping, and courier travel.
- Copyright: You are responsible for researching and obtaining any necessary permissions from the copyright holders.
1. Verify holdings
Please ensure we hold the materials of interest and make note of all relevant bibliographic information, including call numbers, box and/or folder numbers, etc. Direct questions regarding collections and content to Ask Distinctive Collections.
2. Submit loan request
Submit the form below, then email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note, if the exhibition is touring, we need facilities reports and floor plans for all venues.
- Facilities report
An up-to-date American Alliance of Museums General Facility Report or equivalent information about each exhibition venue is required.
- Floor plan
Include floor plans and recent environmental (temperature and humidity) readings for all display/storage areas. Temperature and % R.H are required. We typically expect all loan objects will be displayed in areas or cases where the temperature does not fluctuate more than five degrees from 70º Fahrenheit and where the relative humidity can be held at 45 +/- 5 percent.
- Digital photos of items to be borrowed
If available. You may also provide citations to published or online images in the form below.
3. Wait for review
We will acknowledge receipt of your request within 5 business days. We will conduct an internal review of the requested objects, your facility, and the availability of staff resources to administer the loan according to the requested schedule. We will review and approve all outgoing loan requests and must be satisfied that the work will be properly cared for and protected adequately from fire, theft, mishandling, insects, and from extremes of light, temperature and humidity.
4. Complete loan agreement
Paperwork will be provided to your institution to complete – a fully executed Loan Conditions and Agreement Form and Certificate of Insurance must be received prior to loaning.