We are working to restart select services while keeping our staff and the MIT community as safe as possible. We will update this page and the Libraries’ service updates page as plans evolve. Library locations and study spaces remain closed until further notice.
Most services will be limited to current MIT faculty, students, and staff. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Request digital copies of materials in our physical collections
- Use our Quick Search or other search tools to find available content in our general circulating collections. If an item is only available in print/hard copy, order a digital equivalent by selecting “Request digital copy.”
- For Distinctive Collections (Institute Archives, Manuscripts, etc.) materials, visit their requesting materials page for complete information.
Request delivery of books, media, and more
- Use our Quick Search or other search tools to find available content in our general circulating collections.
- If you require a physical copy of an item, select “Request item.”
- You will be asked to provide a current address for delivery: either an MIT campus address or off-campus within the 50 United States or Canada. We do not currently ship to the U.S. territories or international locations. International users should request digital copies via the suggest a purchase form.
Request materials we don’t own
- Books/physical items: Request via Borrow Direct or Suggest a purchase for delivery to campus dorms/offices or US/Canadian mailing addresses (if an e-version is available, we’ll get it!).
- Articles/book chapters: Request via Illiad/Interlibrary Borrowing. Requesting physical materials from regular Interlibrary Borrowing remains suspended until further notice.
Please note that turnaround times are likely to be longer than usual, as our safety protocols limit the number of library staff on campus. Thank you for your understanding.
Access electronic materials and collections
- All of our e-books, online journals, databases, and other streaming/electronic materials remain available as usual – find what you need using our Quick Search or other search tools. See more information about how to authenticate to online resources.
- Libraries staff have coordinated with major publishers and digital platforms to provide expanded and free resources for remote teaching, learning, and research.
- Get access to online resources from public libraries. Any MA resident can get a Boston Public Library e-borrowing card.
Get materials for course reserves
- Significant changes have been made to the course reserves service to better support the largely online environment.
- There will be no print reserves for the Spring of 2021. Visit the Spring 2021 – Frequently Asked Questions for more detailed information on this change.
Return physical materials
Via UPS (US only)
- We are now offering prepaid domestic UPS shipping labels, one per semester per person, to MIT students, faculty, and staff who are ready to return MIT Libraries’ items, as well as materials obtained through ILB or Borrow Direct.
- To request a label, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your mailing address, email, and phone number. Labels must be used within 30 days.
- Due to campus access restrictions, book return options are limited. Library materials may be returned at the book drop immediately outside the entrance to building 7 (77 Mass Ave. at the top of the stairs).
- Please do not leave oversized items that will not fit into the book drop.
- The book drop will be emptied daily.
Other shipping option
If you are located outside the US and have items you wish to return, they may be sent to the following address:
MIT Libraries Book Return
350 Brookline St.
Cambridge, MA 02139
For all returns
- Returns will be quarantined for four days before being removed from your account.
- Overdue fines for books and other library materials have been suspended and will not be charged to you, including for materials on loan from other libraries.
- For questions about your borrowed materials contact email@example.com.
If you have any other questions, please Ask Us.