An exciting new set of jazz oral history interviews on compact disc has arrived in the Lewis Music Library. “Talking Jazz” contains 60 conversations that musician/author/journalist Ben Sidran held with leading jazz musicians. These interviews were broadcast on National Public Radio in the 1980s.
Talking jazz: an oral history / by Ben Sidran. ML394.S532 2006 [CD] v.1-24 & booklet
- CDs 1-3: Trumpet: Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, Don Cherry, Red Rodney, Freddie Hubbard, Wynton Marsalis.
- CDs 4-8: Saxophone: Phil Woods, Sonny Rollins, Jackie McLean, Johnny Griffin, Frank Morgan, Charlie Rouse, David Murray, Arthur Blythe, Steve Lacy, Branford Marsalis, Michael Brecker, Grover Washington, Paquito D’Rivera, Pepper Adams, Archie Shepp.
- CDs 9-13: Piano: Herbie Hancock, Keith Jarrett, McCoy Tyner, Charles Brown, Jay McShann, Dr. John, Horace Silver, Les McCann, Joe Sample, Don Pullen, Barry Harris, Michel Petrucciani.
- CDs 14-15: Drums: Art Blakey, Max Roach, Mel Lewis, Tony Williams, Paul Motian, Steve Gadd.
- CD 16: Bass: Richard Davis, Marcus Miller.
- CDs 17-19: Voice: Jon Hendricks, Betty Carter, Bobby McFerrin, Ken Nordine, Dave Frishberg, Donald Fagen, Mose Allison.
- CD 20s 20-21: Guitar: George Benson, John Scofield, Steve Khan, Larry Coryell & Emily Remler, Kevin Eubanks.
- CD 22: Arrangers: Gil Evans, Carla Bley, Clare Fischer.
- CD 23: The Biz: Max Gordon, Rudy Van Gelder.
- CD 24: The Author: Ben Sidran interviewed by Craig Werner.
CDs circulate for 3 days (limit of 5, no renewals). The Lewis Music Library is located in Bldg. 14E-109 and IAP hours are Mon-Fri, 10am-6pm; Sat-Sun, 1pm-5pm.