Document Services offers free interlibrary borrowing services to the MIT community, lends materials to domestic & Canadian institutions, and provides paid document delivery & scanning services to the world.
Order/purchase copies of materials from MIT collections
Please verify that MIT owns the material before placing an order.
- MIT theses: See the dissertations/thesis guide.
- MIT research publications: See the tech reports guide and the working papers guide.
Borrow materials from MIT collections
The MIT Libraries provides borrowing to the MIT community and beyond.
- Non-MIT institutions: Borrow via our Interlibrary Loan (ILL) service. See our ILL guide.
- MIT users: Simply use your MIT ID at any library.
Get materials from non-MIT libraries
MIT users only (includes current MIT faculty, staff, and students). Be sure to Search Our Collections to see if the item is available at MIT.
- Best option for articles: Interlibrary Borrowing (ILB)/ILLiad – ILB/ILLiad guide | Request via ILLiad
- Best option for books: Search MIT’s WorldCat to request directly via Borrow Direct. If this option isn’t available, there will be a link in the record to request the item via ILB using MIT’s ILLiad.
Use our Scanning Services to digitize your materials
The Libraries offer a variety of scanning services, including:
- Scan large collections of print materials
- Slides and photographic scanning