Have a research question but aren’t sure where to begin? Starting to work on your thesis? Want to know if we have a book? There are many ways we can help members of the MIT community – just ask us.
Chat with us
- For quick questions about borrowing, requesting, and course reserves. Our chat team is available Monday-Friday, 10am-5pm, except for Institute holidays (MIT only).
- For questions about research, coursework, or technical troubleshooting of library resources – email us (MIT only). We’ll get back to you by 5pm the next business day and often much sooner.
- For questions about Distinctive Collections materials like Institute Archives, rare books, and special collections – Ask Distinctive Collections.
Make an appointment
- For the most complex research questions, use our consultations appointment service (MIT only). Schedule a time with our subject experts who are available virtually.
Tell us what you need
- Suggest a purchase (MIT only) – We welcome suggestions for materials that support teaching, study, and research at MIT.
- Tell us (MIT only) – Give us feedback on anything. Let us know what is working well or not so well.