The Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR), the world’s largest archive of digital social science data, is hosting two opportunities for undergraduate students to gain experience in working with their data:
- The ICPSR Undergraduate Research Paper Competitions will highlight the best undergraduate student research papers that use data from ICPSR.
* One competition covers any dataset(s) held within the ICPSR archive or any of its special topic archives. In the second competition, the paper must address issues relevant to underrepresented minorities in the United States and draw data from the Minority Data Resource Center.
* Up to three cash prizes will be awarded. The winner will receive a monetary award of $1,000. Second place receives $750 and third place $500.
* Deadline for submission is January 31, 2008.
- The ICPSR Summer Undergraduate Internship Program will take place June 9-August 15, 2008.
* Gain experience using statistical programs such as Stata, SAS, and SPSS.
* Learn data processing skills to prepare social science data for archiving and distribution.
* Deadline for application is January 28, 2008.
For more information on either of these programs, contact Katherine McNeill-Harman, Data Services and Economics Librarian, at firstname.lastname@example.org.