- Barker Active Learning Classroom (BALC): The architect provided an MEP (mechanical, electrical, and plumbing) schematic in addition to the final design, and a contractor walkthrough was completed to provide an estimate for the work. A budget will be developed by MIT Facilities based on the information supplied. Once the estimated budget is submitted, it will require approval from both CRSP and the Libraries before proceeding to the next stage which is inviting bids from at least 3 contractors (which can include the contractor who completed the initial pricing walkthrough).
- GIS/RDS (7A-100): The first floor of Rotch Library has been fully cleared of shelving. There are four window bays with steel table supports built into the western wall as well as a short wall along the north side that still need to be removed; the HVAC units and the small columns throughout the floor will not be removed for this project. The removal of the short wall and steel supports may require fire and other permits; B&D Building and Remodeling, the same contractor who completed the Hayden mezzanines, is currently drafting a quote for the removal of these structures. In the meantime, design layout planning will continue throughout October. The layout planning requires coordination between Red Thread and our Facilities PM, Laura Mancuso, especially in regards to egress and sprinkler head clearance codes.
- Hayden Events Space (2nd floor, former Browsery area): The space directly outside the director’s office will be outfitted with flexible furniture to both create a comfortable, quiet work space as well as to allow easy rearrangement of furniture to accommodate readings and other events on Hayden’s second floor. The furniture has been purchased from Red Thread, and the installation is scheduled for November 13th. In advance of the installation, an MIT electrician will be installing the infeed for the Steelcase Power Thread System which provides additional power to the area without coring.
- Hayden Mezzanines: B&D Building and Remodeling has completed their work, which included removal of the uprights (excluding those that contain the HVAC system), replacing the ceiling tiles and grid work that were connected to the uprights, filling holes in the concrete, and installing new baseboards, carpet tile, and small sections of flooring tile. Stafford Painters is in the process of painting the mezzanines’ walls and uprights; this process has taken a bit longer than expected due to Stafford’s availability and the detailed process required to clean and paint the uprights. Furniture designs for the two center mezzanines have been finalized with the designer and shared with the Director’s Group. The Mezzanine Group has finalized the fabric selections for the furniture, and all Hayden occupants have been invited to vote on the finish/fabric selections for each mezzanine by Fri, 11/3.
- Leased Space Move: The Office of Campus Planning has confirmed that MIT has signed the lease for 105 Broadway after finalizing lease negotiations with the lessor, Biogen. The Leased Space Group (Beverly T., Kelly H., and Grace M.) will continue working with the architect who conducted the test-fit for the space; the next phase is to begin discussing technology needs for Libraries and to finalize the design. During this next phase, the core group will meet regularly with business owners Greg Eow and Heather Yager and consult with stakeholders Mohammed El Ouirdi and Christine Quirion as needed.