Facilities & Operations: 2017/10 (Oct)

(Grace Mlady)

  • Barker Active Learning Classroom (BALC): The architect provided an MEP (mechanical, electrical, and plumbing) schematic in addition to the final design, and a contractor walkthrough was completed to provide an estimate for the work. A budget will be developed by MIT Facilities based on the information supplied. Once the estimated budget is submitted, it will require approval from both CRSP and the Libraries before proceeding to the next stage which is inviting bids from at least 3 contractors (which can include the contractor who completed the initial pricing walkthrough).
  • GIS/RDS (7A-100): The first floor of Rotch Library has been fully cleared of shelving. There are four window bays with steel table supports built into the western wall as well as a short wall along the north side that still need to be removed; the HVAC units and the small columns throughout the floor will not be removed for this project. The removal of the short wall and steel supports may require fire and other permits; B&D Building and Remodeling, the same contractor who completed the Hayden mezzanines, is currently drafting a quote for the removal of these structures. In the meantime, design layout planning will continue throughout October. The layout planning requires coordination between Red Thread and our Facilities PM, Laura Mancuso, especially in regards to egress and sprinkler head clearance codes.
  • Hayden Events Space (2nd floor, former Browsery area): The space directly outside the director’s office will be outfitted with flexible furniture to both create a comfortable, quiet work space as well as to allow easy rearrangement of furniture to accommodate readings and other events on Hayden’s second floor. The furniture has been purchased from Red Thread, and the installation is scheduled for November 13th. In advance of the installation, an MIT electrician will be installing the infeed for the Steelcase Power Thread System which provides additional power to the area without coring.
  • Hayden Mezzanines: B&D Building and Remodeling has completed their work, which included removal of the uprights (excluding those that contain the HVAC system), replacing the ceiling tiles and grid work that were connected to the uprights, filling holes in the concrete, and installing new baseboards, carpet tile, and small sections of flooring tile. Stafford Painters is in the process of painting the mezzanines’ walls and uprights; this process has taken a bit longer than expected due to Stafford’s availability and the detailed process required to clean and paint the uprights. Furniture designs for the two center mezzanines have been finalized with the designer and shared with the Director’s Group. The Mezzanine Group has finalized the fabric selections for the furniture, and all Hayden occupants have been invited to vote on the finish/fabric selections for each mezzanine by Fri, 11/3.
  • Leased Space Move: The Office of Campus Planning has confirmed that MIT has signed the lease for 105 Broadway after finalizing lease negotiations with the lessor, Biogen. The Leased Space Group (Beverly T., Kelly H., and Grace M.) will continue working with the architect who conducted the test-fit for the space; the next phase is to begin discussing technology needs for Libraries and to finalize the design. During this next phase, the core group will meet regularly with business owners Greg Eow and Heather Yager and consult with stakeholders Mohammed El Ouirdi and Christine Quirion as needed.

Human Resources: 2017/10 (Oct)

(Robin Deadrick)

  • The 9- week Support Staff Review period will soon begin. Reviews should be scheduled and take place between Monday, November 27, 2017 through Friday, January 26, 2018.  Supervisors managing their review schedules may opt to begin earlier than November 27 if they and their staff member(s) are comfortable with an earlier timeframe.  NOTE:  Support staff will set DISJ goals for 2018 during this review period; formal review of contributions in the DISJ s area during 2017 is not required in this performance review.
  • The FlexWork Pilot project in DLS has come to an end and a formal review with the consultants and library leadership is scheduled for early December. Between now and then the consultant will conduct a survey with the pilot participants and library leadership will collect feedback from all library staff via a short survey.  Lessons learned will be shared in early 2018, and any revisions to the Libraries’ FlexWork policy and norms will be made at that time for application to all FlexWork arrangements in the Libraries. Current, standing FlexWork arrangements will not be discontinued as a result of the pilot end.
  • To achieve compliance with Massachusetts Wage and Hour laws, MIT will be changing the payroll frequency of all exempt staff from monthly to semi-monthly. Based on the current project timeline, this change is scheduled to take place in April 2018.  Official word will come from HR once the implementation date has been confirmed.
  • MIT HR is also working to bring us into compliance with the federal requirement that we track our veteran and individuals with disability populations. You can help us do that by updating your personal information in Atlas (“About Me:My Profile” section).

 

Marketing & Communications: 2017/10 (Oct)

(Brigham Fay)

  • Jia, our video production intern, created a new video for Open Access Week
  • MIT Spectrum featured a Q&A with Chris Bourg
  • October in the media
  • Fall Bibliotech is out
  • Recently completed projects: OA Week promotion and SWAG; fall fundraising appeal; MIT Reads event promotion; EarthArt event promotion
  • Current and upcoming projects: rebranding inventory and rollout planning; MIT Facts for 2018; GIS/drones video; exploring IASC video ideas and live streaming

Liaison, Instruction, & Reference Services: 2017/10 (Oct)

LIRS leadership team will undertake a self-training program over the next several months on the skills and knowledge associated with managing and developing programs.  Modules being developed by Lisa, Tina, Karrie.

Teaching and Learning

Learn with the Libraries is offering 16 classes for the fall semester: http://libraries.mit.edu/news/learn-libraries-3/25961/.

The Barker Active Learning Classroom is in the stages of approving the final design and deciding on furniture and technology for the space.

In November, Sofia, Stacey, and Frances are leading a workshop on accessibility in presentations. It’s a partnership with the Teaching and Learning Program and CPDI in line with our DISJ values to equip our colleagues in making their meeting and presentations accessible to all audiences.

In November, Stacey, Jennie, Tim R, and Olimpia are leading two sessions on streaming blended in-person and online in the DIRC using WebEx. The aim is by expanding capabilities and skillset with these tools we can increase our reach for instruction and enable more flexible meeting attendance.

Liaison outreach:

Mark Szarko, Ece Turnator helped organize a multi-institutional DH organizing team for the Making it Digital workshop at Northeastern U. The goal of the workshop was to clearly define steps for integrating digital tools/methods in teaching as summarized in the checklist .  Designing both semester-long digital projects and individual assignments, timelines, maps, Omeka, TEI are some of the tools and methods included in the lightning talks.

Alena McNamara met with DUSP faculty member Ceasar McDowell and discussed possible collaboration with a planned group called the Civic Design Network focusing on using urban planning, architecture, and design to promote democracy and civic participation in urban, demographically-complex environments.

Jen Greenleaf will be sharing the libraries’ resources and research help with students in the Graduate Certificate in Logistics and Supply Chain Management (GCLOG) program, part of the MIT Global Supply Chain And Logistics Excellence (SCALE) network geared towards outstanding graduate students from Latin America. These students spend 6 weeks on the MIT campus, and do most of their work in the field, so the library sessions will be done using Webex.

Nicholas Albaugh met with Leon Sandler, Executive Director of the MIT Deshpande Center for Technological Innovation, and Sarah Jane Maxted, Executive Director of the MIT Regional Entrepreneurship Acceleration Program (REAP).  Nicholas will be giving a presentation on library resources to the Deshpande Center grant recipients in January and a webinar to the REAP teams in late November.

The A&H CoP worked on developing goals for FY18 related to diversity, inclusion, and social justice. Members of the group will focus on outreach to student groups and on revising collection development policies to better reflect the values articulated in the Report of the Collections Directorate Diversity, Inclusion, and Social Justice Task Force.

SE COP continued its FY18 monthly interdisciplinary learning topic (loosely defined) with a presentation about IDSS, the Institute for Data, Systems and Society.  The working group is formed for a SE CoP goal to create a wish list for digitization of science and engineering materials, to support the larger Libraries’ Digitizing Collections goal.

SSM CoP began work on its DISJ goal, developing strategies for incorporating MIT Libraries values of diversity, inclusion and social justice into SSM collection decisions.

Institute Archives & Special Collections: 2017/10 (Oct)

Notable collections and space activities

  • The Audio Lab in Lewis Music Library was opened on a limited basis to students in Florian Hollerweger’s Music and Technology class (21M.380)
  • A subscription to the Digital Concert Hall (streaming video of the Berlin Philharmonic) was made available to the MIT community.  (Permalink: http://libraries.mit.edu/get/berlinphil 3 simultaneous users)
  • Forrest conducted an oral history interview with Institute ProfessorMarcus Thompson.
  • Processing work: Material added to Leo Beranek papers (MC 506). Preservation work on Robert White papers (MC 583) based on patron demand.
  • Scanning: continued pulling material for Cybernetics Collective Thought grant project. Began pulling materials for MIT Directory scanning project.

Instruction and presentations

  • Ergonomic Training sessions were held in the Wunsch Lab
  • Library instruction for two classes: John Picker’s “Media Systems and Texts” class (CMS.400) and Teresa Neff’s “Beethoven to Mahler” class (21M.250). Both classes included demonstrations of the library’s cylinder player, 78 rpm player, and 1960s turntable.
  • Two Composer Forum Series talks were hosted by the Lewis Music Library: Senior Lecturer of Music, Mark Harvey; and Jody Diamond, who founded the American Gamelan Institute.
  • Greta and Nora presented on ArchivesSpace for a Staff Share presentation
  • Greta and Phoebe presented on Wikipedia for a Staff Share presentation and hosted a Wikipedia edit-a-thon for Open Access Week

External relationships and meetings

  • Peter attended the New England chapter of the Music Library Association (NEMLA) meeting held at Yale University.
  • Chris and Myles attended New England Archivists Board meeting to report on the NEA Fall 2017 Meeting: Infinite Conversations, held at MIT.

Outreach and community building

Staff

  • Jonathan Burke began working in the Institute Archives as part time administrative assistant
  • Digital Archivist Joe Carranno begins working in IASC on November 1, 2017.

Scholarly Communications & Collections Strategy: 2017/10 (Oct)

Open Access Week:

  • We kicked off OA Week early with an open science lunch workshop on Friday October 20th featuring Kevin Moerman of the MIT Media Lab, Katie Zimmerman (SCCS), and Phoebe Ayers (LIRS).
  • SCCS’s focus for OA Week was a day-long table in Lobby 10 at which we promoted the new opt-in OA license. We gave t-shirts to people who signed the license at the table. We also gave away $100 gift certificates to the MIT Press bookstore to 10 people who signed the license during OA Week. We had more than 150 people sign the license that week, adding 25% to the previous total.

Data and Specialized Services: 2017/10 (Oct)

Citation Management and Writing Tools

  • CMWT has revamped its LibGuides to provide more streamlined access to information on the tools we support.  They’ve also initiated a review of the Manage your Information guide that knits together services offered by CMWT, DMS and IASC.
  • CMWT is looking for a new member.  For info about what CMWT does, see their scope and LibGuides. This is a great growth opportunity for anyone looking to enhance their skillset with research tools, instruction, and customer service. Make sure you have approval from your supervisor and email cmwt-lib@mit.edu or contact a current member if you are interested in joining the group or have questions.  Respond by Monday, November 16.

+Data Management Services

GIS

  • Presented two “Introduction to VR” workshops in the Lab, and connected with a PhD student who may co-teach the IAP VR session(s).
  • Submitted an IHOP request for digitization of library spaces for future space planning needs. Ideally will include representative from each library.
  • Presented two “Introduction to Satellite Remote Sensing” workshops in the Lab, which has generated more RS related inquiries during help hours.
  • Presented Intro to GIS and Data for Somalia workshop to Wes Harris’s freshman advising seminar (7 students plus Wes Harris and Leon Trilling).
    • Working on a grant application for high resolution satellite imagery to secure data for Professor Wesley Harris’ Freshman Seminar, which will become part of our data collection.
  • Invited to Simmons to present a hybrid “Comparison of Statistical Software & Intro to R” workshop, due to our involvement with the SSLB conference in June, 2016.

Technology Planning, Integration, & Experience: 2017/10 (Oct)

October 31, 2017

Selected TPIE/Technology project highlights

  • Visit the  Library Technology Portfolio (last updated at start of June) to see a “dashboard” view of progress on projects which is updated monthly in the last/first week of each month; for further details about individual projects, see the TPIE Project Management Repository
  • Communication & Collaboration: Currently preparing to roll out an upgraded instance of Slack, JLT has agreed to test out the  Best Practices for Email version 1. 0, developed by the team to inform a rollout strategy to the MIT Libraries organization.
  • Comprehensive Digital Preservation Storage: Much needed resources will be added to the project in November.  Progress continues to be made defining the Digital Preservation Storage Criteria and the Storage Rules for moving, copying and replicating content.
  • Digitization Workflow: Consolidated a list a potential solutions and started to attend tools demonstrations.
  • DSpace Migration Phase 1: Requirements Matrix has been completed and approved.  The project identified and documented 8 custom DSpace workflows and mapped them to 55 high-level functional requirements and our existing custom applications and additions to DSpace.  It also documented our hosting requirements for hosting DSpace.
  • OA Workflow Migration to Symplectic Elements: The project went live on 9/20 and has been receiving positive feedback from SCCS.  Maintenance and Support Plan is nearly complete and will signify the project officially being handed off from TPIE to SCCS.
  • Persona Framework Development: Project has been approved.  PEP (Project Execution Plan) development underway and targeting kick off in early November , supporting rollout of DLS Service Area Planning Teams
  • DLC Lookup Service for DSpace@MIT – Completed end user testing.  Reviewing findings and making any fixes necessary prior to moving to production in November

TPIE UXWS updates aggregated by Darcy Duke: (more information is available here https://wikis.mit.edu/confluence/x/cHVsB)

  • Discovery and access environment: Finishing development on a full record view, ran various usability tests on full record view and search hints feature. oaDOI now available as a target resource through SFX.
  • Web development: Work is proceeding on a major update to our public forms, as well an exploration of an integration of the new MIT calendar with our News site; libraries.mit.edu is now using the https/SSL secure protocol.
  • SpringShare products: LibGuides and LibCal are now using the secure SSL/https protocol; the LibGuides Research Guides Group (RG2) has now been formed.
  • UX/UI design/development/research: Initial work on integrating the upcoming new Pentagram branding into our web site

Research: 2017/10 (Oct)

Since the last LC meeting, the Information Science program hosted a Brown Bag entitled Safety Nets: Rescue and Revival for Endangered Born-Digital Records with Jefferson Bailey, wrote and posted blog posts on Cassidy Sugimoto’s October Brown Bag presentation, and a guest post from CLIR Software Curation postdoc Alex Chassanoff.  Also posted were two new publications, one a book chapter by Micah Altman and two research intern alumni on virtual and augmented reality, and one on energy use and happiness.

In October Micah Altman: was invited to the Gabrielli Lab/McGovern institute talk on learning science, submitted a paper for an invited talk on Algorithmic Discrimination at FPF, attended his final ORCID board meeting in Mexico City as his term is expiring, presented on Digital Preservation at DLF, drafted a working paper on Algorithmic Harm, gave a presentation on Storage Trends, was the NDSA opening plenary speaker, and submitted a Nercomp proposal.  He was also quoted and cited in an article in VICE called Algorithms Supercharged Gerrymandering. We Should Use Them to Fix it.  In MIT specific work, the first joint Libraries/DLC UROP position, co-sponsored with Rafael Jaramillo, was posted, a SWOT analysis was completed, and the CLIR Software Curation Fellow report was submitted.

In Grand Challenges Summit news, we have hired a new project manager, selected the program committee, chosen the week in March 2018 for the summit, negotiated available space for various parts of the summit, and established certain infrastructure necessary for communication, collaboration, and completion of the project.

In November the program will host Scott Bradner in a Brown Bag entitled The History of the Internet.  The planned Grand Challenges work will include finalizing keynote speakers, launching the website, writing the first workshop brief, and finishing the first round of participant invitations.  Micah Altman will attend the Sloan/ADRF workshop and the Future Privacy Forum/Research Data Group meetings.  There are plans for work on or submission of at least ten papers, articles, working papers, blog posts, and reviews.

As usual, papers, events, blog posts, course materials, etc. are available from the program website, blog, and twitter feed here.

Acquisitions Discovery & Enhancement: 2017/10 (Oct)

Collections Budget Optimization Group (CBOG) Survey and Open Forums: All library staff were invited to participate in both a survey and one of two open forums to discuss their needs and hopes for the collections budget. Notes from both, grouped around common themes, will be made available to staff as soon as possible. The Group is co-chaired by Michael Noga of SCCS and Kim Maxwell of ADE, and also includes Deborah Lenares from SCCS and Macrina Rizzo from Administrative Services.

ACQ ATTACK: Don’t be alarmed: the only thing acquisitions staff are attacking is workflow and cross training! Acquisitions staff in monographs, serials, and eresources continue to meet weekly to learn about all areas of acquisitions so we can more easily respond to changing needs. Recently, Michelle Miller has taken in the Visa Verification Process for all credit card orders in acquisitions (it might sound mundane, but I assure you it’s a vital part of a process that allows us to get materials here faster than other payment methods).  We’ve also been looking into workflows involving GOBI Library Solutions (formerly YBP), where we get 70% of our orders in Monograph Acquisitions, to both understand them better and hopefully find efficiencies where we can.

New ADE Blog!:  There’s a new blog on the block! The ADE (Acquisitions and Discovery Enhancement) department has recently launched “CoolADE,” (at ameslib.wordpress.com)  the blog that aims to scale the heights and plumb the depths, and astound with epiphany and revelation and what it means to an ADE-ster! The Blog Planning Group (Jenn Morris, Emily Crawford, Walter Powers)  has instituted sessions for ADE members interested in becoming conversant on wordpress and contributing to CoolADE. The blog is up and running; take a sip of the CoolADE!

Metadata for the Women in Science and Engineering at MIT: Emily Crawford is working with Liz Andrews to create and edit metadata in ArchivesSpace for collections relevant to the Women in Science and Engineering at MIT Archival Initiative. To date Emily has created a folder list for the Mary Potter collection and is currently working on adding a folder list for the Mary Rowe collection. Additionally she has inventoried select boxes of the MIT Oral History Program so that it would be easier to find audio recordings featuring MIT women for the project.

Metadata for CAVS: Chris Donnelly has been cataloging images of art works created by the fellows of MIT’s Center for Advanced Visual Studies using on online cataloging tool called Sanity. He has been working with CAVS archivist, Jeremy Grubman, who received a grant to create an online repository, a “virtual museum,” to document the nearly 45 year history of the center.

Scholarly Communications & Collections Strategy: 2017/09 (Sep)

In November MIT will honor the world-renowned, award-winning MIT physicist and Institute Professor Mildred Dresselhaus by hosting a symposium on her life and work. SCCS was delighted when the organizers reached out with questions about publishing the proceedings, and to be able to play a small role in this event by providing input. This input included reviewing copyright issues and agreements; offering suggestions regarding how the proceedings could be made as open as possible; and drawing the MIT Press into the conversation so they could provide information about what they could potentially do to publish and disseminate the proceedings.

Symplectic Elements was officially launched September 20th and will serve as the system SCCS uses to identify the published research of our MIT community. Elements is a vended system that manages author publication data and will automate more of our open access outreach workflows. It acquires publication data from a variety of sources and offers integration with dspace@mit, allowing for more efficient deposit of articles.  This launch is the result of more than two years of project time, and several other years of research and testing.

Research: 2017/09 (Sep)

Since the last LC meeting, the Information Science program hosted a Brown Bag entitled Labor and Reward in Science: Do Women Have an Equal Voice in Scholarly Communication? with Cassidy Sugimoto, was awarded an IMLS Diversity grant, and made significant progress in assembling the program committee for the Grand Challenges Summit.  Micah Altman was invited to be a member of a panel discussion on Accessibility in AI at the Boston Accessibility Conference, spoke at the Research Data Alliance, invited to give a presentation on Fixity at RDA, invited to present at the Postdoctoral Association, completed an external review for Nature, and organized the NDSA National Agenda group.  In MIT specific work, the draft of the proposed UROP program with Rafael Jaramillo was completed, and work was completed on the Strategic Plan responses and Mission/Values final document.

In October the program will host Jefferson Bailey in a Brown Bag entitled Safety Nets: Rescue and Revival for Endangered Born-Digital Records. Micah Altman will attend his final ORCID Board meeting, as well as present at the DLF/Digital Preservation conference.  The program will continue work on Phase II of the Mellon Grand Challenge, proceed with an upcoming Software Curation Fellow report by Alex Chassanoff, finish RTI reports and manage multiple paper submissions, LOIs, blog posts, and papers.

As usual, papers, events, blog posts, course materials, etc. are available from the program website, blog, and twitter feed here.

Facilities & Operations: 2017/09 (Sep)

(Grace Mlady)

 

  • Barker 4th floor window upgrade project: MIT Facilities and Campus Planning reached out to Libraries to confirm the schedule for the removal of Barker’s 4th floor windows along the west side of building 10. This is part of the infrastructure and façade renewal project for buildings 4, 8, and 10. Staff with offices along Barker’s 4th floor west wall (facing the President’s Courtyard) have been informed that they will need to temporarily relocate their office in order to facilitate window removal; however, they will not need to relocate until April 2018. The window removal period is currently scheduled for some time beginning and between April 18, 2018 and July 2, 2018. New windows will be installed beginning in August 2018 through the first week of September 2018.
  • Barker Active Learning Classroom: The architect provided the Libraries core group with the final design for which we are budgeted. The final design is still in the approval process; a sample floor plan and rendering are available on the Libraries Space Projects wiki within the text of the BALC update. The architect also provided an MEP (mechanical, electrical, and plumbing) schematic, which explains to what degree the construction will impact those systems and potentially trigger the need for upgrades. CRSP has already completed the next step of the process, which is having a contractor conduct an evaluation of the 6th floor to estimate the cost of space upgrades. Once the estimated budget is submitted, it will require approval from both CRSP and the Libraries before proceeding to the next stage, which is inviting bids from at least 3 contractors.
  • Hayden Courtyard furniture: Six Adirondack chairs, 5 tables of varied sizes, and 14 total chairs for said tables have been selected and purchased in coordination with Campus Planning. The delivery and installation dates have changed – the Adirondacks will be delivered on October 20th, and the tables/chairs are scheduled to arrive at the end of November. The tables/chairs can remain outdoors year-round, but the Adirondacks will need to be stored. Grace M. is coordinating with MIT Grounds to determine storage options.
  • Hayden Mezzanines: B&D Building and Remodeling has completed the demolition and removal of the uprights. Uprights that contain the HVAC system need to remain; these are located on 1M & 2M center as well as 2M east. Ceiling tile and ceiling grid work installation and replacement is almost complete with the exception of the north ceiling along 2M center and 2M east. B&D will begin filling all holes in the concrete leftover from the upright removal in early October and will also begin laying the new carpet shortly thereafter. Stafford Painters will begin patching and painting the mezzanine walls on October 11th and will also paint the remaining uprights on the mezzanines. Additionally, furniture designs for 1M & 2M center have been finalized with the furniture vendor and shared with the Director’s Group. The Mezzanine Group is now narrowing finish and fabric selections.
  • Leased Space Move: The Office of Campus Planning is working with the architect and the other DLC who’s been assigned to the 6th floor to determine whether that DLC will literally fit in the space along with Libraries. This needs to be confirmed and finalized before Libraries can move ahead with design work. Meanwhile Beverly, Kelly, and Grace M. met with Mohamed and Christine to begin discussions around subgroups focused on technology needs and cultural/operating norms in the new space. Discussions of this nature will continue once there’s more logistical information from Campus Planning.
  • Music Audio Lab: Facilities has installed new LED lighting within the lab and made upgrades to the door. Most of the equipment and furniture is now in place, including sound-insulating panels on the walls. Peter met with Felicity to review the potential for using the new room booking system and will coordinate with TS3 to investigate further options.
  • Rotch 1st floor: WB Meyer has begun shifting and/or removing collections on Barker’s 6th and 7th floors and Rotch’s 1st Collections shifting will take place through Fri, 10/6, and the removal of furnishings (shelving, carrels, etc.) from Rotch 1st will take place from October 11-16. Some shelving from the 1st floor will be stored to be installed on the 3rd floor after the GIS Lab has been relocated. The remaining shelving will be donated to Phillips Academy (Andover, MA), which is undergoing a renovation and will need temporary shelving for 18 months. The Design and Construction Team has met with Cassandra and Grace M. to determine floor plan and furniture selections, and a preliminary floor plan was shared with Red Thread to aid discussion about the purpose of the space and programming needs. Design layout planning will take place throughout October in coordination with Red Thread and the Facilities PM, and build-out of the space is tentatively scheduled for IAP, though it may occur in February due to timeline slippage.

 

 

 

Human Resources: 2017/09 (Sep)

 (Robin Deadrick)

  • The Institute announced Special Holiday Closings for faculty and staff on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 and Tuesday, January 2, 2018 in addition to the Institute holidays on Monday, December 25, 2017 and Monday, January 1, 2018. Standard holiday and special holiday payroll policies will apply.
  • MIT’s annual Benefits Open Enrollment is this month – October 16 through October 27. Additional information about benefits and the enrollment period may be found here: http://hrweb.mit.edu/benefits/open-enrollment. Benefit elections for 2018 may be made in Atlas.
  • Administrative Services has been piloting an online vacation tracking tool for the past six months and recently enlisted three more departments (IDLA, IASC and TPIE). Our goal is to bring all administrative staff in all library departments on board by the beginning of FY18.

Marketing & Communications: 2017/09 (Sep)

(Brigham Fay)

  • The School of Engineering produced a lovely video about Chris Sherratt
  • Pentagram returned to MIT to present some initial visual design concepts; we chose the one we liked best, and now Pentagram will do some work to refine it and think about its varied applications. We plan to share the design and messaging concepts with the wider staff at an upcoming all-staff.
  • Recently completed projects: Fall Bibliotech; campaign roadshow display text; Learn with the Libraries promotional material
  • Current and upcoming projects: Open Access Week promotion and giveaways; promoting EarthArt exhibit and reception; MIT Reads events; fall fundraising appeal; video projects with Jia, our new intern; branding rollout planning