The Architects Collaborative (TAC) Archives
The Architects Collaborative (TAC) was founded in 1945 by a group of graduates of Harvard’s Graduate School of Design and soon joined by Bauhaus veteran Walter Gropius. TAC was well-known and highly respected for its broad range of projects, which included many public and private school buildings throughout New England, as well as a large number of hospital buildings. Many other successful firms were formed by graduates of the firm.
In 1995, owing to financial difficulties resulting from political problems in the Middle East, TAC was forced out of business. This sudden closure prompted several Boston-area librarians to act quickly in order to rescue TAC’s records. The microfilmed archives of TAC’s records are now owned by Rotch Library.
Description: The microfilm is arranged in four sequences: Working Drawings, Job Files, Specifications, and Legal Contracts. Material dates from 1946 to the early eighties but is not comprehensive either within or between the four sequences.
Availability: The collection is housed in the Limited Access Collection of Rotch Library. Access to the archives requires advance notification and can take up to 24 hours, with no access on weekends or holidays. Microfilm box numbers are linked to a list of TAC jobs organized by broad categories. For retrieval, a building’s original name is needed.
Copies: The Libraries have no facility for making full-sized copies of the drawings. Patrons may make standard copies from a microfilm reader/printer on site.
For further information, contact the Rotch Information Desk at (617) 258-5599 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.