Scanning Services: Slides, Photographs, & Digital Scanning
The scanning staff of the Collections Preservation and Reformatting unit of Curation and Preservation Services serves as an on-campus resource for conversion of paper and image-based materials to electronic formats for a fee. We also offer consultation services to aid in understanding and meeting your requirements.
- Projects can be large or small. Minimum order amount is $15. For services beyond our capabilities, we can provide recommendations to other MIT or outside vendors.
- Scanning fees vary based on the quantity and quality of original material. Please contact the scanning unit at 617-253-2800 or email@example.com for a price quote.
- All services are carried out on-site.
- Copyright restrictions may apply to certain materials.
- The quality of the original material will determine the quality of the digitized images.
- Groups of materials like newsletters, reports, or other campus generated publications
- Lab notebooks
- Department or individual faculty records or papers
- Maximum size – up to 22” x 32”
- Loose or bound
- 3 different color modes – black & white, grayscale, color
- Resolutions up to 400 dpi
- OCR (optical character recognition) to add text searching ability
If the materials you want to have scanned are for class instruction at MIT, check ARTstor and/or the Rotch Visual Collections in Dome to see if your images have already been digitized. Images from ARTstor and Dome are available free to members of the MIT community.
- Flat art
- Maximum size:
- Slides/transparencies/negatives – up to 11” x 16”
- Photographs/flat art – 22” x 32”
- 3 different color modes: black & white, grayscale, color
- Maximum DPI is dependent upon size of original
- Basic color correction, cropping, and dust removal is included. (Any additional image manipulation will be billed at our hourly rate.)
- Plus other common image formats
File Delivery Options
- Web-Docs electronic delivery
- External hard drive
Other Miscellaneous Services
- OCR for existing electronic files
- Advanced image editing in Photoshop