Music Library originally functioned as a music lounge when it opened
in the Hayden Building (Building 14) in 1950. Over the years, this
space evolved into a music library. The library was totally renovated
in October 1996 when it was renamed the Rosalind Denny Lewis Music
Library. To learn more about Mrs. Lewis, read the library dedication
speech by her granddaughter, Rosalind Williams.
For more details about the library, see this article
and visit the Lewis Music Library Virtual
Tour. Also, look at and listen
to the Canon, written for the library by MIT music professor John
Harbison, which adorns the glass panels surrounding the second floor
of the library (music performance by Emmanuel Music, Boston, Craig
Smith, Music Director).
A picture of the MIT Banjo Club from ca.1893 hangs outside the entrance
(image from Ring the Banjar, ML1015.B3.R56 1984)
first floor and mezzanine level include attractive reading areas with large
seating is also available by the journal lounge area.
study space is provided in the Roy Lamson Conference Room
(with an LCD screen and laptop connectors) and a small study room on the mezzanine.
scanner/photocopier is on the first floor.
and Visual Facilities
Bakalar Listening Center, located on the library's mezzanine,
features listening carrels containing compact disc players,
turntables, cassette tape decks, VCRs, laserdisc, and DVD
group viewing/listening room is equipped with a VCR, laserdisc,
and DVD players.
may play through music scores at digital pianos located
on the first floor and mezzanine.
- Computers with music software are available.
of the House