School of Engineering

Deans of the School of Engineering

Vannevar Bush 1932-1938
Edward Leyburn Moreland 1938-1946
Thomas Kilgore Sherwood 1946-1952
Edward Lull Cochrane 1952-1954
Carl Richard Soderberg 1954-1959
Gordon Stanley Brown 1959-1968
Raymond Lewis Bisplinghoff 1968-1971
Alfred H. Keil 1971-1977
James D. Bruce 1977-1978, Acting Dean
Robert C. Seamans 1978-1981
Gerald L. Wilson 1981-1991
Joel Moses 1991-1995
Robert A. Brown 1996-1999
Thomas L. Magnanti 1999-2007
Subra Suresh 2007-2011
Ian A. Waitz 2011-

The School of Engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology was established in 1932 as part of the reorganization of the Institute recommended by President Karl Taylor Compton. As the largest of MIT’s three schools and two divisions at that time, the School of Engineering brought together the Department of Building Engineering and Construction (which became part of the Department of Civil and Sanitary Engineering in 1934); the Department of Business Engineering and Administration (which in 1950 separated from the school to become the School of Industrial Management); the Department of Chemical Engineering; the Department of Civil and Sanitary Engineering (which in 1961 became the Department of Civil Engineering and in 1992 changed its name to the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering); the Department of Electrical Engineering (which in 1975 became the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science); the Department of Mechanical Engineering; the Department of Mining and Metallurgy (which split in 1936 into two departments: Mining Engineering, which was discontinued in 1940, and Metallurgy, which became the Department of Metallurgy and Materials Science in 1967, and then the Department of Materials Science and Engineering in 1974); the Department of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering (which became the Department of Ocean Engineering in 1971, later merged into the Department of Mechanical Engineering in 2005); the Department of General Sciences and Engineering (which was discontinued in 1957); and the Department of Nuclear Engineering (which was established in 1958 and in 2004 changed its name to the Department of Nuclear Science and Engineering). The School of Engineering added the Department of Aeronautics in 1939 (it became the Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics in 1959) and two interdisciplinary divisions: Bioengineering and Environmental Health and the Engineering Systems Division in 1998. The latter division was renamed Biological Engineering in 2002 and became a department in 2007.

http://engineering.mit.edu/

Prepared by the Institute Archives, MIT Libraries
January 1996; updated July 2007, June 2012