Privilege cards (P-cards)
If you’re not a current member of the MIT community, you can purchase a Privilege Card to gain borrowing rights at the MIT Libraries. A Privilege Card will allow you to borrow materials, with some exceptions, in accordance with library policy. Please note, purchasing a P-card does NOT give you off-site access to online databases and journals.
A card is to be used only by the person to whom it has been issued. To borrow materials, you must present picture identification in addition to the card.
Abuse of MIT Libraries’ regulations may result in confiscation of cards and cancellation of library privileges. For more information, see library use policy and computer use policy.
Buying a Privilege Card
Individuals must use the Privilege Card Order Form (Cards cannot be purchased in person). 1 business day of processing time is required to activate borrowing privileges. See section on Privilege Cards in Pricing Information.
Questions? Contact us.
Corporate and organizational discounts
Discounts are available when members of a corporation or organization enroll for Privilege Cards at the same time as a group. This discount program allows companies or organizations to purchase multiple cards, however, the same regulations above apply to Privilege Cards purchased by groups or individuals. See section on Privilege Cards Pricing Information for organizational discounts.
Please contact us prior to placing an order for Privilege Cards in order to receive this discount.
- Members of a company or organization must apply for their cards at the same time and designate a single individual to serve as a library contact.
- Discounted Privilege Cards must be paid for at the same time.
- Cards are issued for a full year.
- If an MIT alumni/ae is a member of a group, that person will be charged the alumni fee for their individual card and not the group rate.
- All discounted group member cards will have the same expiration date, which will be a year from the date of enrollment.
- After cards expire, the group can decide to renew all cards in the group, a few cards in the group, or individual cards may be renewed at the appropriate rate at the end of that period.
- To add new members, see the Changing group membership section below.
- Privilege Cards issued to a corporate or organizational group can be transferred to a new user at any time for a transfer fee of $50.
- All loans and fines must be cleared from the user’s record before a transfer may take place.
- Alumni who are members of a group are NOT eligible to have their privileges transferred to a different user.
- New members of a group can be added during the course of the group’s membership year at the full-year or half-year price. Inclusion in the program for greater than 7 months would be charged the full-year fee. 7 months or less would be charged the half-year fee.
- If new members are added to a group during the course of the group’s membership and the number of members in the group increases to reduce the per card rate, new members will receive the new rate as they are added to the group. The entire group would be renewed at the new rate.
- Refunds will not be issued on previous Privilege Card purchases as the number of cards increases within a group.