- Barker Active Learning Classroom: The core team recently held its third meeting with the MIT Facilities PM and the architect to agree on the final architectural design for the classroom. The group also discussed flexible furniture needs and technology that may impact the use and number of whiteboards needed. The Facilities PM will work on the next stages of the process which include pricing out the design, getting agreement from CRSP and Libraries on the pricing, and sourcing bids from contractors for the work before a contractor is selected. The current timeline places the construction phase during the winter months and the classroom opening in the spring of 2018.
- Barker Service Desk: The Libraries’ project plan has been shared and a space change request has been filed with Facilities. We’ve been assigned a Facilities PM, and Facilities is currently writing a memorandum of understanding (MoU) as well as gathering estimates for all aspects of the work required (demolition of the service desk, installation of a new desk, patch/paint, carpeting, and possibly the installation of additional power).
- GIS/RDM Rotch: The Collections Redeployment Team and Design and Construction Team have both convened. The timeline to begin removing collections and furnishings (shelving, carrels, etc.) on Rotch’s 1st floor is the first week of October; the removal work should take approximately two weeks with an end date of October 13th. The Construction Team will determine floor plan and furniture selections during September and the build-out of the space is currently scheduled for IAP.
- Hayden Courtyard furniture: Six Adirondack chairs, 5 tables of varied sizes, and 14 total chairs for said tables have been selected in coordination with Campus Planning and purchased. The delivery and installation date is currently October 20th, and the new furniture can remain outdoors year-round once it’s fully in place.
- Hayden Events Space: The space directly outside the Director’s Office on the 2nd floor will be outfitted with flexible furniture to create a comfortable quiet work space and allow easy rearrangement of furniture to accommodate readings and other events typically held in Hayden. There will also be increased access to power outlets. The furniture installation has been delayed due to vendor turnaround time, but the expected install date is in mid-October.
Extra event chairs were purchased and are stored under the west mezzanine on 2nd. There are now enough chairs for 50 attendees. A podium from the DIRC was also relocated to Hayden’s 2nd floor.
- Hayden Mezzanines: Abatement has been completed for the flooring of all five mezzanines as of August 11th. Two walls (one on 2M east and one on 2M center) also required mold treatment which has been completed. Grace M. is now finalizing the selection and approval process to hire B&D Building and Remodeling as the contractor to remove the uprights from each mezzanine (excluding those with air vents), install new carpet, and fix any ceiling infrastructure affected by the upright removal. Stafford Painting will complete the patching and painting of the mezzanines once the upright removal is complete. Hayden will remain open during this work and updates about possible space disruption (noise, odors, etc) will be shared with all-hayden-lib as soon as they’re known.
Additionally, furniture designs for the two center mezzanines have been finalized and shared with the Director’s Group. Once approved, the Hayden Mezzanine Group will move onto selection of finishes.
- Music Audio Lab: The new HVAC unit has been installed, the ceiling patched, and the walls painted. Facilities will begin installing new light fixtures for LED lighting within the space beginning the first week of September. The equipment and furniture order has been placed with Parsons Audio and chairs ordered from Red Thread.