Return to exhibit
The Founding of MIT
(1) Letter, William Barton Rogers to Henry Darwin Rogers, March 13, 1846, William Barton Rogers Papers (MC 1), Institute Archives and Special Collections, MIT Libraries.
(2) Address of His Excellency Nathaniel P. Banks to the Two Branches of the Legislature of Massachusetts, January 7, 1859. Senate No. 1 (Boston, 1859), pp. 30-31.
(3) Emma Rogers, ed. Life and Letters of William Barton Rogers (Boston: Houghton, Mifflin & Co., Cambridge, Mass.: Riverside Press, 1896), vol. 2, p. 3.
(4) An Account of the Proceedings Preliminary to the Organization of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology; with a List of the Members Thus Far Associated, and An Appendix, Containing Petitions and Resolutions in Aid of the Objects of the Committee of Associated Institutions of Science and Art (Boston, 1861), p. 4.
(5) Printed circular letter, January 7, 1861, William Barton Rogers Papers (MC 1); also printed in Account of the Proceedings, p. 6.
(6) Acts and Resolves of the General Court of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 1861, Chapter 183, Section 3.